Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s

The Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Program enables undergraduates to apply for and begin taking courses towards a master’s degree before completing their bachelors’ degrees. Most students apply for the program in their junior year, and finish both degrees within five years.

It is not necessary for your undergraduate major and your master’s degree to be in the exact same field. For example, many computer science undergraduates choose the concurrent program to get a Master’s in Security Informatics. Mixing degrees is also an alternative to undertaking a double major in a closely related field, such as a combination of computer science and computer engineering or math.

As a combined degree student, you must satisfy all the requirements of your bachelor’s degree as well as all the requirements of the master’s degree. Please note that some departments may permit an overlap of two courses at most. All other courses, including undergraduate electives, must be separate and distinct for the two degrees.

If you are interested in applying for the combined degree program, please see our Academic Program Administrator, Revelie Niles, in Malone 160, or simply apply on-line through the university’s graduate admissions website.


Frequently Asked Questions 

Do my bachelor’s and master’s degrees have to be in the same department?

No, they do not. You can do a concurrent MSE in Computer Science with a major in another department. However, you should complete core coursework in CS before applying. Similarly, you may do a bachelor’s degree in CS with a master’s in a related field such as the MSSI or applied mathematics, pending admission to their master’s programs.

When should I apply?

Interested students are encouraged to apply in the fall semester of their junior year, but must apply no later than the fall semester of their senior year.

For which semester do I apply?

Select the next available semester, not the semester you would become a Master’s student

Can I count courses towards both my degrees?

According to university and departmental policy, you may count at most two graduate courses (400 level and above) towards both degrees. All other courses for your MSE should be totally separate from all 126 (120) credits used for your BS (BA) degree.

Do I get a tuition discount?

After a Hopkins student completes eight semesters and earns a Bachelor’s Degree, the Whiting School of Engineering will pay 50% of the student’s tuition every semester while he or she is a graduate student.

Do I need to take the GRE?

GRE scores are not required, but can be submitted should you wish to.

What are the differences between the combined program and the regular MSE program?

The only difference between the programs is that when you are a combined student, in your first semester as a graduate student, you can register a few weeks earlier than students who are regular MSE’s. Every other policy such as double counting, and the tuition discount are the same since you are a Hopkins student.

Back to top