Pre-2021 Manuals and Forms

Sample Schedules

Joanne Selinski, Director of Undergraduate Studies
410-516-4117 | Malone 225 | Office Hours

  • Coordinates undergraduate academics and advising
  • Manages course information and course assistant hiring
  • Advises HopHacks, the annual hackathon

Lyn Doan, Sr. Academic Program Coordinator
410-516-8001 | Malone 160 | Office Hours

  • Can answer general undergraduate advising and program requirement questions
  • Oversees CS major and minor declarations
  • Supports undergraduate student groups and events

Abigail Fanara, Sr. Academic Program Coordinator
410-516-8001 | Malone 160 | Office Hours

  • Can answer general undergraduate advising and program requirement questions
  • Supports student groups and events
  • Handles course scheduling

Revelie Williams, Academic Program Manager

  • Oversees applications to the combined bachelor’s/master’s program
  • Available for general questions for the MSE and MSSI programs

Department resources to keep you on track with your academic program:

Contact or your faculty advisor with questions about course selection, degree requirements, other minors and majors, and four-year degree planning.

University policies to keep you on track with your academic program:

Contact or your WSE academic advisor with questions about school-wide policies and procedures.

Academic Calendar (Office of the Registrar) – registration deadlines, breaks, class dates, and exam periods

Course Schedules (SIS Public Course Search)

Course Information (CS Department)

External Credit Policies (JHU Catalogue) – also summarized below:

  • Students wishing to transfer credits can obtain an External Course Request form via SIS.
  • Students can take up to 12 credits outside Hopkins toward their degrees (besides AP and IB credits and those earned by students who transferred in from other institutions).
  • Obtain the desired course’s syllabus or detailed course description and submit the completed request form to academic advising, where the information will be reviewed for approval.
  • Once approval has been given, you can then take course and must earn a C or higher to receive credit. The other school must send your transcript to Hopkins after course completion. Once the transcript is received, the necessary credits will be transferred to your Hopkins transcript, although your grade will not be calculated according to or factored into your Hopkins GPA.

See the CS IT Support page for departmental computing information, including information about student accounts and labs. Contact for help with any departmental computing services.

Homewood Campus Computing Resources

In addition to the department’s computing resources, there are additional computing resources on the Homewood campus, including in the Milton S. Eisenhower Library and the Brody Learning Commons.

Visit the JHU Sheridan Libraries website for general information.

For engineering-specific information (including articles, patents, standards, and resources), please see the Libraries’ Engineering Guide.

You can also contact Sue Vazakas, academic liaison for engineering at the Sheridan Libraries for more information.

Learn about different types of research opportunities, offered both through the department and from across the university, with links to multiple resources.

Johns Hopkins’ Life Design Lab provides a breadth of career-related programs, including résumé writing and interview preparation workshops, discipline-focused career fairs, internship and full-time employment listings, and more.

Students are encouraged to pursue internships during their winter and summer breaks; students can also take part in a paid internship or work under a faculty sponsor for academic credit. A maximum of one credit per semester may be earned doing an internship.

The Department of Computer Science also regularly shares information about undergraduate part-time, summer, and full-time employment recruitment and opportunities. Sign up for our jobs mailing list here.

Johns Hopkins University Student Employment

University Experiential Learning at JHU (formerly Student Employment) provides listings of job opportunities at Johns Hopkins and information about tax forms, eligibility, work permits, paychecks, and more.

Departmental Student Employment

Undergraduates primarily work hourly as course assistants or research assistants in CS.

  • Course Assistant information – We hire a small army to help with almost every course in the department. Students must be rehired for each semester they work as a course assistant.
  • Research positions are sometimes advertised via email, but are mostly obtained through direct contact with professors. See our Research Opportunities page for more details.

Students must complete a federal I-9 form the first time they work at JHU and after every lapse in work that is at least one full semester long. This process must be completed before a student begins work in the department.

Information about submitting hours, pay dates, and more can be found on the University Experiential Learning site.

Johns Hopkins offers a host of resources where students can ask for and receive help on a variety of topics.

If you need someone to listen, you can talk to your faculty advisor, the Director of Undergraduate Studies, or your WSE academic advisor. Sometimes venting to someone may be all you need.

Other times, though, you may want to talk to someone who is trained to help people in distress. View these pages for information and hours:

A student’s four years at Johns Hopkins culminates in a big day of celebration, otherwise called graduation and commencement.

Timeline to Graduation

  • Submit your Application to Graduate when notified by the Whiting School. Information is available on the Registrar’s graduation page. Make sure you correctly note your BS or BA degree as a CS major.
  • November – Fourth-year students send their completed Major Worksheet to, who will review it in January and confirm that they are on track to graduate.
  • March – The department certifies graduation eligibility.
  • April/May – Graduating students complete Exit Surveys.


  • Obtain your diploma at Johns Hopkins Commencement.
  • Join your family and friends at the CS reception. Graduates will receive an invitation mid-spring.

Early/Late Graduation

  • Submit your Application to Graduate the semester before you intend to finish.
  • Review your completed Major Worksheet with a department staff member the semester before you intend to finish.