No, they do not. You can complete a concurrent MSE in computer science (MSE CS) with a major in another department. However, you should complete core CS coursework before applying. Similarly, you may complete a bachelor’s degree in CS with a master’s in a related field, such as the MSSI or applied mathematics and statistics, pending admission to those master’s programs.

Entering students are expected to have completed a program of study equivalent to that required by the BS in computer science. Applicants from other disciplines are expected to have coursework (or equivalent experience) in intermediate programming (C++ and Java), data structures, computer system fundamentals, and mathematical foundations for computer science.

Interested students are encouraged to apply as early as the second semester of their third year, but must apply no later than the first semester of their fourth year.

University and departmental policy states that students who are in either a WSE combined bachelor’s/master’s program or who are seeking a WSE master’s degree after having earned a bachelor’s degree from either WSE or the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences may double-count no more than two courses (400-level or higher) to both programs with the permission of their master’s faculty advisor. All other courses for your MSE degree should be separate from the total credits required for your bachelor’s degree. Courses from a previous institution cannot be considered for double counting.

After a JHU student completes eight semesters—in the fall or spring only—and earns a bachelor’s degree, the Whiting School of Engineering’s Dean’s Master’s Fellowship will pay 50% of the student’s tuition every semester (fall and spring only) while they are a full-time graduate student.

GRE scores are not required, but may be submitted if you would like.

The only difference between the programs is that when you are a combined BS/MS student, in your first semester as a graduate student you can register a few weeks earlier than students who are regular MS students. All other policies—e.g., double counting and the tuition fellowship—are the same for both programs.

All MSE candidates must complete 10 (3-credit) courses or 8 courses and a project/essay/thesis, which can mean:

  • One 3-credit course from at least four of the following sub-areas: Application, Reasoning, Software, and Systems and Theory.
  • 3–4 electives from any CS area or closely related department, such as Electrical and Computing Engineering, Cognitive Science, Mathematics, or Applied Mathematics and Statistics.
  • 2 additional graduate level courses in CS or a supervised project/essay/thesis.

Undergraduate research does NOT satisfy the graduate level project requirement.

Yes, it is possible to complete both degrees while retaining undergraduate status, although most students do require one or two additional semesters following the completion of their BS degree.

Only 601.4XX or higher level courses can be used to satisfy graduate level requirements—with permission from your master’s faculty advisor.

Yes. CS 601.4XX courses or higher that are not applied to the BS degree can be used to satisfy the graduate degree with the permission of your master’s faculty advisor. If the courses are not CS courses, but are closely related, they may possibly satisfy the electives requirement.

As long as a student retains undergraduate status, they must register at the 601.4XX level only. Once their status is changed to graduate—after eight semesters or the completion of their undergraduate requirements—then registration for 601.6XX courses is required.

Students who graduate with a Johns Hopkins University undergraduate degree automatically earn a Dean’s Master’s Fellowship, which covers half of their tuition for every semester of full-time, residential enrollment (fall and spring semesters only; summers, intersessions, and EP courses are not included) in a WSE master’s degree program, provided they have either: (a) completed eight full-time* semesters of study at Johns Hopkins, or (b) have not been enrolled at Johns Hopkins for at least one year. Students who are pursuing JHU combined bachelor’s/master’s degrees at the same time who have not yet completed eight full-time semesters of study at JHU and have retained undergraduate status are eligible to continue to apply for undergraduate financial aid through the Office of Student Financial Services.

*Students who took advantage of the COVID-19 graduating senior course drop option in the Spring 2020 semester will remain eligible for the Dean’s Master’s Fellowship (even if they changed to part-time status in their eighth semester) provided they meet all other criteria and have completed seven semesters at full-time status.