Pre-2021 Manuals and Forms

  • Undergraduate Advising Manual – contains essential information for majors and minors not found in the course catalog, for requirements Fall 2016 through Spring 2021
  • BS/BA Program Worksheet (xlsx) – required advising document to track and calculate progress toward satisfying the either the BS or BA degree requirements
  • Approved Science Courses – science courses that may count toward the basic science requirement

Sample Schedules

Joanne Selinski, Director of Undergraduate Studies
410-516-4117| Malone 225

  • Coordinates undergraduate academics and advising
  • Manages course information and course assistant hiring
  • Advises HopHacks, the annual hackathon

Kelly Culotta, Sr. Academic Program Coordinator
410-516-8001 | Malone 160

  • General undergraduate advising and program requirement questions
  • Declaring a CS major or minor
  • Undergraduate student groups/event support

Revelie Niles, Academic Program Administrator

  • Applying to the combined bachelors/masters program
  • MSE program – general questions
  • MSSI program – general questions

Department resources to keep you on track with your academic program:

Contact or your faculty adviser with questions about course selection, degree requirements, other minors and majors, and four-year degree planning.

University policies to keep you on track with your academic program:

Contact or your WSE academic adviser with questions about school-wide policies and procedures.

Academic Calendar (Office of the Registrar): registration deadlines, breaks, class dates, exam periods

Course Schedules (SIS: Student Information System)

Course Information (CS Department)

Transfer Classes: Policies (Academic Catalog)

  • Students wishing to transfer credits can obtain a Permission to Transfer form on the Blackboard Organization: WSE Academic Advising site.
  • Students can take up to 12 credits outside Hopkins toward their degrees (besides AP and IB credits, and those earned by students who transferred from other institutions).
  • Obtain the course’s syllabus or detailed course description and submit the request to academic advising, where the information will be reviewed for approval.
  • Students can then take the course and must earn a C or higher. The school then sends the transcript to Hopkins. Once received, the credits will be transferred to the transcript, though the grade will not be calculated in the Hopkins GPA.

See CS IT Support for departmental computing information, including information about student accounts and labs. Contact for help with any departmental computing services.

Homewood Campus Computing Resources
In addition to the department’s computing resources, there are additional computing resources on the Homewood Campus, including in the Milton S. Eisenhower Library and the Brody Learning Commons.

Visit the JHU Sheridan Libraries page for general information.

Contact Sue Vazakas, academic liaison for engineering at the Sheridan Libraries

Learn about different types of research opportunities, offered through the department and from across the university, with links to multiple resources.

Johns Hopkins’ Life Design Lab provides a breadth of career-related programs, including résumé writing and interview preparation workshops, discipline-focused career fairs, internship and full-time employment listings, and more.

Students are encouraged to pursue internships during winter and summer breaks and students can take part in a paid internship or work under a faculty sponsor for academic credit. A maximum of one credit per semester may be earned doing an internship.

The department of Computer Science also regularly shares information about undergraduate part-time, summer, and full-time employment recruitment and opportunities. Sign up for our jobs mailing list here.

Johns Hopkins University student employment opportunities

University Experiential Learning at JHU (formerly Student Employment) provides listings of job opportunities at Johns Hopkins and information about tax forms, eligibility, work permits, paychecks, and more.

Departmental Student Employment
Hourly Positions: Undergraduates primarily work as course assistants or research assistants in CS.

  • Course Assistant information – we hire a small army to help with almost every course in the department. Students must be rehired for each semester they work as a course assistant.
  • Research positions are sometimes advertised via email, but are mostly obtained through direct contact with professors. See our research page for more details.

Students must complete a federal I-9 form in Student Employment the first time they work at JHU and after every lapse in work that is at least one full semester long. This process must be completed before the student begins work in the department.

Information about submitting hours pay dates, and more can be found on the university’s Experiential Learning site.

Johns Hopkins offers a host of resources where students can ask for and receive help on a variety of topics.

If you need someone to listen, you can talk to your faculty adviser, the DUS, the Sr. Academic Program Coordinator, or your WSE academic adviser. Sometimes, venting to someone may be all you need.

Other times, though, you may want to talk to someone who is trained to help people in distress. View these pages for information and hours:

  • Wide range of student well-being resources are available through the Office of Student Life
  • Office of Student Disability Services advises Johns Hopkins students with disabilities on available services, including accommodations on campus.
  • The Counseling Center provides services to students who are in need of support and assistance related to their mental health–across a range of topics–in a caring environment.
  • Sexual Assault Helpline
  • Emergencies – call the Security office at 410-516-7777 or the Baltimore City Emergency Line at 911.

That big day at the end of a student’s four years at Johns Hopkins culminates in the celebration called graduation and commencement.

Timeline to Graduation

  • Submit the Application to Graduate when notified by the Whiting School. Information is available on the registrar’s graduation page. Make sure you correctly note BS or BA degree as a CS major.
  • November – seniors send their completed “major worksheet” to, who will review (in January) and confirm that they are on track to graduate.
  • March – the department certifies graduation eligibility.
  • April/May – seniors complete Exit Surveys.


  • Obtain your diploma at Johns Hopkins Commencement.
  • Join your family and friends at the CS reception. Graduates will receive an invitation in mid-Spring.

Early/Late Graduation

  • Submit the application to graduate the semester before you intend to finish.
  • Review your completed “major worksheet” with a department staff member the semester before you intend to finish.