Undergraduate Academic Program

See “Degree Certification” in the Undergraduate Advising Manual.

Other departments will ask to put their courses in the computer science semester listings to attract students, but this does not necessarily mean they can be used for computer science credit. For details, see the Computer Science “Other” Courses page.

A faculty sponsor affiliated with the department must agree to supervise your work (ie, someone who has a section number for the relevant course). They will determine how many credits will be given for the proposed work will be worth ( 1- 3) and will grade your work at the end. For more information, please see our Research Opportunities page.

AP Statistics credits are equivalent to 550.111 Statistical Analysis I. As such, they may be used towards the BA math credit requirements, but not the BS math credits. (The BS math credits must be 200 level or above, beyond the required core courses.) However, AP Statistics may partially fulfill the probability and statistics requirement for the BS. A probability course will still be necessary.

Students are expected to take an introductory programming course (currently 500.112 Gateway Computing: Java or AP credit), followed by 601.220 Intermediate Programming, and then 601.226 Data Structures. Intermediate and Data Structures are not strictly sequenced, which means you can take them in the opposite order; however you should avoid taking them simultaneously as they are both very programming intensive.

See the Office of the Registrar’s website for this and related information.

In general, no – only 601.xxx numbered courses are considered computer science courses. Some technically-oriented 650.xxx courses may be applied towards computer science requirements, but only if they appear on the CS other” approved list and fall within the six credit limit.

They do count towards your basic science required credits.

Yes. Each physics AP exam includes only that associated lab. For Physics and Biology, using AP credits will give you fewer total credits than if you take separate lecture and lab courses at JHU, so make sure you are still meeting the total science credit requirement.

If there is sufficient evidence of your proficiency, you do not. This may include completing an intermediate or higher level foreign language course, at least six AP language credits, or a letter of proficiency from a JHU language department.