Symmetry Descriptors and 3D Shape Matching
SGP 2004 Paper
Windows Executable (Viewer)
The executable Symmetry.exe computes the specified type of symmetry of a shape, and outputs a spherical grid corresponding to the symmetry value about each axis. It takes the following arguments.
- --in <input mesh>
- This string is the name of the file containing the triangulated model.
- --out <output spherical grid>
- This string is the name of the file to which the spherical grid will be written.
The file format is a single integer, R written out in binary, giving the resolution of the spherical grid, followed by an RxR array of single-precision floating point values, also written out in binary, giving the values over a regular grid in azimuth-/elevation-space. The parameterization is defined so that the value at coordinate jR+i corresponds to the spherical point at position ( sin(phi)*cos(theta) , cos(phi) , sin(phi)*sin(theta) ) where the angles are defined as phi=Pi*(2*j+1)/(2R) and theta=2*Pi*i/R.
- --sym <the type of symmetry>
- This interger values specifies the type of symmetry to be detected and is interpreted as follows:
0 = axial symmetry
1 = reflective symmetry
k = k-fold symmetry
- [--res <sphere resolution>]
- This optional integer value specifies the resolution of the spherical grid. If specified, the value must be a power of two. If unspecified, a default value of R=128 is assumed.
The executable SphereViewer.exe is a tool for visualizing spherical grids. It takes a single argument which is the name of the file, and provides a visualization that can be manipulated using either the mouse, or the 'z', 'a', 'x', 's', 'q', and 'w' keys.