Johns Hopkins University, HLTCOE
Stieff Building / 810 Wyman Park Drive
Baltimore, MD 21211-2840, USA
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org where x=kevinduh
Hi! I am a senior research scientist at the Johns Hopkins University Human Language Technology Center of Excellence (HLTCOE). I am also an assistant research professor in the Department of Computer Science and a member of the Center for Language and Speech Processing (CLSP). Previously, I was assistant professor at the Nara Institute of Science and Technology (2012-2015) and research associate at NTT CS Labs (2009-2012). I received my B.S. in 2003 from Rice University, and PhD in 2009 from the University of Washington, both in Electrical Engineering. My research interests lie at the intersection of Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning, in particular on areas relating to machine translation, semantics, and deep learning.
My recent projects include: (a) domain adaptation for neural machine translation [see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5], (b) end-to-end cross-lingual information extraction and retrieval, (c) multi-objective optimization for fast, small, and accurate deep learning models. I'm fortunate to have great collaborators.
- Current Doctoral Advisees: Xuan Zhang, Suzanna Sia, Neha Verma (co-advised with Kenton Murray), Sophia Hager (co-advised with Nick Andrews)
- Previous lab members: : Jeremy Gwinnup (AFRL), Shuo Sun (now at Institute for Infocomm Research), Mitchell Gordon (now at AI startup, Latitude), Pamela Shapiro (now at Comcast), Sheng Zhang (now at Microsoft, co-advised with Ben Van Durme) Muhammad Rahman (now at NIH), Sorami Hisamoto (now at WorksApplications), Hiroki Ouchi (now at NAIST), Fei Cheng (now at NII), Xiaoyi Wu, Frances Yung (now at Saarland University), Masashi Tsubaki (now at AIST), Xiaodong Liu (now at Microsoft), Yanyan Luo (now at Baidu)
- The CFP is out! Please submit to NAACL 2024 (Dec 15, 2023 deadline), to be held in Mexico City!
- EACL 2023 tutorial on AutoML for NLP
- MTMA 2023 talk on Large Language Models for Machine Translation Adaptation
Selected Publications [click here for full list, or Google scholar profile]:
- An Extensive Exploration of Back-Translation in 60 Languages (ACL-Findings2023)
- A Study of On-the-fly Machine Translation Using Large Language Models (MTSummit2023)
- Bilingual Lexicon Induction for Low-Resource Languages using Graph Matching via Optimal Transport (EMNLP2022)
- Data and Parameter Scaling Laws for Neural Machine Translation (EMNLP2021)
- Reproducible and Efficient Benchmarks for Hyperparameter Optimization of NMT Systems (TACL2020)
- Membership Inference Attacks on Seq2Seq Models (TACL2020)
- Curriculum Learning for Domain Adaptation in Neural Machine Translation (NAACL2019)
- Stochastic Answer Networks for Machine Reading Comprehension (ACL2018)
To prospective students: Thanks for your interest! I am not able to reply to your inquiries individually, due to the large volumes of email I receive ("email event horizon"). If you are seeking admission, please refer to the official CS admissions page. I am currently not accepting internship students (including self-funded ones).