Password Selection Strategies
Reactive password checking:
- The system periodically runs its own password cracker to find guessable passwords.
- The system cancels passwords that are guessed and notifies user.
- Consumes resources.
- Hackers can use this on their own machine with a copy of the password file. Can they get the password file?
Proactive password checking:
- The system checks at the time of selection if the password is allowable.
- With guidance from the system, users can select memorable passwords that are difficult to guess.