Access Control Methods
- Associating an access list with each file.
- Maintenance problem as system users are dynamic.
- Where do we store this? (variable size for directory entries?).
Groups: (example - Unix)
- Condensing access lists to three classifications for users: owner, group, universe.
- Maintenance of groups in the system is not connected with specific files or directories.
- Each file has an owner and a group associated with it. Permissions are specified to each of them (rwxrwxrwx).
- Associating a password with files or directories.
- Maintenance problem for passwords in the system.