- 4/1-4/3 Introduction and Early Generation
- The Napster Protocol Specification
- The Gnutella Protocol, version 0.4.
- I. Clarke, O. Sandberg, B. Wiley, and T. W. Hong,
"Freenet: A Distributed Anonymous Information Storage and Retrieval
System" ICSI Workshop on Design Issues in Anonymity
and Unobservability, July 2000.
- Optional:Qin Lv, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Scott Shenker.
Can Heterogeneity Make Gnutella Scalable?. In Proceedings of
IPTPS 02. [.pdf]
- Summary of Freenet due by 04/03 16:00EST
- 4/8-4/10 Distributed Hash Tables
- I. Stoica , R. Morris , D. Karger , M. Kaashoek ,
H. Balakrishnan , Chord: A Scalable Peer-to-peer Lookup Service for
Internet Applications , Proc. ACM SIGCOMM , San Diego,
CA, August 2001.
- Summary of "A scalable content-addressable network" due by 04/08 16:00 EST
- Sylvia Ratnasamy, Paul Francis, Mark Handley,
Richard Karp, and Scott Shenker. "A scalable
content-addressable network". In Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 2001,
- A.Rowstron and P.Druschel.
"Pastry: Scalable, distributed object location and routing for
large-scale peer-to-peer systems". In Proceedings of the 18th
IFIP/ACM International Conference on Distributed Systems Platforms
(Middleware 2001). Heidelberg, Germany, November 2001.
- Summary of Pastry due by 04/10 16:00 EST
- 4/15-4/17 Applications
- Ion Stoica, Dan Adkins, Shelley Zhuang, Scott Shenker,
and Sonesh Surana,"An Internet Indirection Infrastructure",
Appeared in Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 2002. [.pdf]
- Summary of "An Internet Indirection Infrastructure" due
by 04/15 16:00 EDT
- Frank Dabek, M. Frans Kaashoek, David Karger, Robert Morris, and Ion Stoica.
"Wide-area cooperative storage with CFS". In the Proceedings of the
18th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP '01).
- Angelos D. Keromytis, Vishal Misra, and Dan Rubenstein. "Secure
Overlay Services" In the Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM Conference,
- Summary of "Secure Overlay Services"
due by 04/17 16:00 EDT
- 4/22-4/24 Implications and other architectures
- Subhabrata Sen, Jia Wang. "Analyzing Peer-to-Peer Traffic Across
Large Networks." In Proceedings of IMW 2002
- Stefan Saroiu, Krishna P. Gummadi, Richard J. Dunn,
Steven D. Gribble, and Henry M. Levy.
"An Analysis of Internet Content Delivery Systems". In Proceedings
of OSDI 2002.
- Yatin Chawathe. "Scattercast: An Adaptable Broadcast Distribution
Framework." Appeared in a special issue of the ACM Multimedia Systems
Journal on Multimedia Distribution, 2002.
- Summary of "An Analysis of Internet Content Delivery
Systems" due by 04/22 16:00 EDT
- 4/24 Final Exam