WordNews: Learning a Second Language from Reading News.
Learning a new language from language learning websites or formally is time consuming. WordNews makes language learning efficient and attractive by interleaving language learning with the daily activity of online news reading, which has become a leading platform for consuming news. Details about the features of the initial prototype can be viewed here and a demo video of the extension can be viewed below.
Our WordNews project was funded by VaSCo (Validating Startup Concept) award (S$10,000) from National University of Singapore (2015-2016)!
For more detailed description of the existing system, please refer to the following paper:
- Tao Chen, Naijia Zheng, Yue Zhao, Muthu Chandrasekaran and Min-Yen Kan (2015). Interactive Second Language Learning from News Websites In Proceedings of ACL Workshop on Natural Language Processing Techniques for Educational Applications (NLP-TEA'15)
- Hong Jin Kang, Tao Chen, Muthu Kumar Chandrasekaran and Min-Yen Kan (2016). A Comparison of Word Embeddings for English and Cross-Lingual Chinese Word Sense Disambiguation. In Proceedings of COLING Workshop on Natural Language Processing Techniques for Educational Applications (NLP-TEA'16).
- Kang Hong Jin (National University of Singapore)
- Tao Chen (National University of Singapore)
- Muthukumar Chandrasekaran (National University of Singapore)
- Min-Yen Kan (National University of Singapore) - Group Lead