I'm a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University. As a member of Center for Language and Speech Processing, I'm currently doing research on neural machine translation. Yet, I do have a general interest in problems of different categories in the field of natural language processing (both text and speech). My primary advisor is Philipp Koehn.
Apart from my graduate studies, I have also spent a few memorable summers either interning at Salesforce Research, Amazon, or visiting The University of Edinburgh. Before joining Johns Hopkins, I got my Bachelor's degree in Beijing University of Posts & Telecommunications. During the last year of my undergraduate study, I worked with Weiwei Sun in the Language Computing and Web Mining Group of Institute of Computer Science & Technology, Peking University, with a focus on semantic parsing and Chinese word segmentation.
- Oct 2019: I gave an invited talk at Microsoft Research. [slides][video]
- Jun 2019: Our work on interpreting word alignment from NMT predictions will appear in Fourth Conference on Machine Translation, co-located with ACL 2019.
- May 2019: Two papers accepted at MT Summit 2019.
- Mar 2019: Our work on parallelizing StackLSTM will appear in NAACL 2019 Workshop on Structured Prediction for NLP.
- Feb 2019: New ICASSP paper accepted.
- Sep 2018: Our Interspeech 2018 paper won the best student paper award.
- 600.465: Natural Language Processing
- 600.475: Machine Learning
- 600.468: Machine Translation
- 600.676: Machine Learning: Data to Models
- 050.620: Syntax I
- 600.615: Big Data, Small Languages, Scalable Systems
- 550.661: Nonlinear Optimization I
- 600.420: Parallel Programming
- Fall 2017: Graduate Teaching Assistant, EN.600.468/601.668 Machine Translation. Checkout the neural network and NMT homework I designed.
- Spring 2017: Guest Lecture, EN.600.435 Artificial Intelligence -- Markov Decision Process
- Spring 2016: Guest Lecture, EN.600.468 Machine Translation -- Syntax-Based Models
Espresso: A Fast End-to-end Neural Speech Recognition Toolkit
Yiming Wang, Tongfei Chen, Hainan Xu, Shuoyang Ding, Hang Lv, Yiwen Shao, Nanyun Peng, Lei Xie, Shinji Watanabe, Sanjeev Khudanpur
ASRU 2019 (To Appear) [pdf][code]
An Exploration of Masking for Neural Machine Translation
Matt Post, Shuoyang Ding, Marianna Martindale and Winston Wu
MT Summit 2019 [pdf]
Grammatical Relations in Chinese: GB-Ground Extraction and Data-Driven Parsing
Weiwei Sun, Yantao Du, Xin Kou, Shuoyang Ding, Xiaojun Wan
Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL) 2014 [pdf][bib]
How Do Source-side Monolingual Word Embeddings Impact Neural Machine Translation?
Shuoyang Ding and Kevin Duh, 2018 [pdf]
Backstitch: Counteracting Finite-sample Bias via Negative Steps
Yiming Wang, Hossein Hadian, Shuoyang Ding, Ke Li, Hainan Xu, Xiaohui Zhang, Daniel Povey, Sanjeev Khudanpur, 2017 [pdf]