Schedule for Fall 2002
We decided to go for a mixture of these options:
- Quantum computing
(quantum mechanics, quantum computer models, and quantum cryptography
- Distributed data management
(dynamic distributed hashing, distributed caching, peer-to-peer systems)
- Local search heuristics
(genetic algorithms, simulated annealing, AI and ant colony methods)
- Theory of data compression methods
(zip, mpg, jpg, mp3,...)
The meetings will take place every Wednesday at 4 p.m. in NEB 325.
- Sep 11: First, organizational meeting and selection of a topic
- Sep 18: "Minimizing the flow time without migration"
(presented by Amitabha Bagchi)
- Sep 25: "Ant colony methods for optimization problems"
(presented by Carolyn Cooper)
- Oct. 9: "Primality testing is in P"
(presented by Ankur Bhargava)
- Oct. 16: "Compression of low entropy strings with Lempel-Ziv algorithms"
(presented by Jatin Chughani)
- Oct. 23: "The non-stochastic multi-armed bandit problem"
(presented by Kishore Kothapalli)
- Oct. 30: "Quantum cryptography, public key distribution and coin tossing"
(presented by Seny Kamara)
- Further presentations will be given here...
- S. Leonardi and D. Raz.
Approximating total flow time on parallel machines.
In Proc. of the 29th STOC, 110-119, 1997.
- B. Awerbuch, Y. Azar, S. Leonardi, and O. Regev.
Minimizing the flow time without migration.
In Proc. of the 31st STOC, 198-205, 1999.
- M. Dorigo and L.M. Gambarella.
Ant colonies for the traveling salesman problem.
BioSystems, 43:73-81, 1997.
- E. Bonabeau, M. Dorigo, and G. Theraulaz.
Inspiration for optimization from social behaviour.